Skip Navigation
A young girl playfully feeds her mother a piece of food while sitting at the dinner table.

Nutrition & WIC Services for Kansas Families


WIC’s goal is to help keep pregnant and breastfeeding women, new moms, and kids under age 5 healthy by providing:

  • Personalized nutrition information and support
  • Checks to buy healthy food
  • Tips for eating well to improve health
  • Referrals for services that can benefit the whole family

The information in this article comes directly from the Kansas Department of Health and Environment Nutrition & WIC Services websites and is subject to change. This information was last verified on May 27, 2022. Underlined text indicates a hyperlink that will take you directly to the resource when selected. 

Who is eligible for WIC services?

Many working people are eligible for WIC and don't realize it. WIC serves Kansas residents who are:

  • Breastfeeding, up to baby's first birthday
  • Infants and children under five years old
  • Non-breastfeeding mothers, up to six months after baby's birth
  • Pregnant

WIC clients must meet WIC income guidelines and have a medical or nutritional need.To be income eligible for WIC benefits, a household may earn up to and including 185% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. That means a family of four with an income at or less than $49,025 per year, or making $943 or less per week is income eligible. 

Table indicating income eligibility by household.

How do I become a WIC client?

Call your local WIC agency to schedule an appointment. You can reach the Douglas County WIC Program office at 785-856-5350. At the appointment, there will be a brief review of foods you eat, medical history, and current health status to determine the medical or nutritional need. If you or your child is found eligible for WIC benefits, the appointment will also include nutrition education.

What information will I need to provide?

Be sure to verify your appointment time, date, and location with your local WIC program and ask them to provide a throuough list of all the document you should bring to your appointment. According to the KDHE Nutrition & WIC Servies Website, you will need to bring:

Proof of Identity

  • Birth certificate
  • Driver's license
  • KS Medicaid card
  • Military ID
  • Passport
  • Photo ID
  • School ID

Proof of ID for Child

  • Birth certificate
  • Foster care/adoption papers
  • KS Medicaid card
  • Shot/immunization records
  • WIC can not accept Social Security Cards as proof of identity

Proof of Residency

  • Envelope that was mailed to you
  • Official letter
  • Rent receipts

Utility bill

  • Proof of Household Income for All People Living in Your House
  • Medicaid/Healthwave 19 card
  • Paycheck stub from current job
  • SRS benefit letter

Completed Diet Questionnaires (these may be provided to you by your local WIC program to be completed before your appointment). 

What if I just want information about nutrition?

KDHE has compile a robust collection of Nutrition Education Resources (that can be accessed by clicking the underlined/hyperlinked text). Some of these resources are available in Spanish. 

Back to Top